There are a number of dimensions over which to evaluate the health of our sport. These dimensions include number of members*1, number of Member clubs*2, geographic spread of active Member clubs, total participation levels, participation that is reflective of South Africa’s demographics and international performance amongst others. Our 5-year goals against each of these dimensions are listed below. By measuring our progress against these goals we will be able to assess whether or not our efforts effective.
Long-term Objectives: 2020
- 10000 Runs*3 annually at Orienteering Events*4
- 750 SAOF members
- Active Member clubs in 6 Provinces
- A single event with more than 500 Participants*5
- Year-on-year improvement in participants mirroring SA demographics
- Year-on-year improvement in club membership mirroring SA demographics
- First Woman A-final qualification. Men regularly qualifying for A-finals (JWOC or WOC)
*1 Number of individual members of Member clubs. Member clubs are either full or associate.
*2 As per our constitution, Member clubs are either full or associate. Full Member clubs are those whose primary focus is orienteering.
*3 Runs are defined as the number of cards / individuals (count groups are counted as 2 since this is the minimum number in a group)
*4 An Orienteering Event is defined as any timed event with a Map and Navigation. This can include Foot O and
*5 Participants are as per *1 and *2, i.e. participants at a trail-running event with O elements don’t count.