A new Orienteering Schools League (OSL), coordinated by the South African Orienteering Federation (SAOF), is planned for the Kensington – Bedfordview – Edenvale area and neighbouring suburbs for the first term of 2015.
Orienteering is a walking and running sport of map-based navigation; it’s somewhat like treasure hunting where the map indicates the location of the ‘treasure’.
Local schools are invited to participate in the League (or even a few of the four events).
Schools are also invited to host events if their school property is a reasonable size; this will involve an SAOF orienteer coming to the school to make an orienteering-specific map of the property. This map is made available to the school for their own orienteering activities.
Suggested dates for the 2015 Orienteering Schools League are:
- Monday, 2 February: #1 Jeppe Boys
- Monday, 9 February: #2 Venue TBC
- Monday, 16 February: #3 Venue TBC
- Monday, 23 February: #4 Edenvale High
- Monday, 2 March: Optional day (should one of the four scheduled events be rained out)
- Monday, 9 March: FINAL Kloofendal Nature Reserve (selection criteria; jointly with OSL – NORTH)
- Weekend: 13 to 15 March: Annual Schools Camp @ Bushtrails (selection criteria; limited to 30 participants)
- Sunday, 22 March: Gauteng Orienteering Clubs & Schools Relay (three-person teams; all welcome)
- Ages: approx Grade 5 to Grade 12 (>10yrs)
- Categories:Primary (Grades 5-7), Junior (<16), Senior (16 and older) – girls and boys
- Fees: R80/student for all League events
- Entry: Students may enter as individuals if their school is not participating
Additional information is available on the Orienteering Schools League page on the Orienteering website (www.orienteering.co.za). Also visit the page “What is O?” for information and two short videos on the sport of orienteering.
OSL – EAST is coordinated by Lisa de Speville. She has 15 years of orienteering and adventure racing experience, both as a participant, navigator and coach. She is a qualified British Orienteering Federation Level 2 Coach.
Please see this notice of an orienteering teacher workshop scheduled for Monday, 1 December 2014 at Jeppe Boys (14h00 to 16h30). Lisa is also available to make school visits.
Lisa de Speville
Project Manager: School Orienteering (SAOF)
firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 082 936-2509